Sunday 2 August 2009

Kurt Vonnegut and a rant!


So many times I have heard people say something along the lines of " Yeah but I could have done that..." or even recently from a very well established photographer: "But really my four year old could have taken those pictures", when looking at photographs.....
I have always found this a frustrating type of comment, because it is of no use whatsoever, and yes, maybe you could have taken that picture, but the bottom line is you didn't!...
So recently I have been reading novelist Kurt Vonnegut's (above) Breakfast of Champions and came across a section where a painter ( Karabekian ) is questioned about his abstract (and minimalist) painting selling for a colossal amount of money... And in response Karabekian says:

"I have read the editorials against my painting in your wonderful newspaper. I have read every word of the hate mail you have been thoughtful enough to send (to me) in New York..... .. The painting did not exist until I made it.. Now that it does exist, nothing would make me happier than to have it reproduced again and again, and vastly improved upon, by all the five year-olds in town. I would love for your children to find pleasantly and playfully what it took me many angry years to find."

And that kind of sums it up for me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment